RLP Loga

RLP Loga

Monday, February 21, 2011

My Networking Group Experience

My experience with networking groups all started a couple of years ago at a wedding, I was sitting across the table from someone that had said they were looking to move, as a real estate agent, this is when it is my job to offer my services. I got shot down very quickly because this couple will only use the Realtor in their networking group. This was completely new to me and I wanted to hear more.
I met with a man whose job it was to start and grow BNI groups.  Since every BNI group had a Realtor, my only option at this time was to start my own group.
After a couple of months of meeting we had grown our group to about 5 or 6 core people, who are still in the group today. After a year of trying to grow the group to the requirements required for BNI and not meeting them, we had to venture out on our own.  What many of us had found is after meeting with each other every single week for a year we had made great friendships and strong business relationships had also been formed.
Freedom Networking has now grown to about 20 official members and we are in the processes of forming an official not-for profit organization to support the goals of the group.  We have established rules and regulations for the group and in the next couple of months we will be having an official Freedom Networking launch party. This party is something that we have been aiming for, for quite a long time.
The basic rules for Freedom Networking are very similar to many other networking groups. 
1.       There will only be one person from every type of occupation allowed in the group,
2.       You must try to invite people to come each week
3.       And most importantly you want to try and bring referrals in to the group. 
We understand that this is a business meeting but we have a good time every week.  How else will you get people out of bed at 5:30am on Friday mornings?
I now have a trusting relationship with, a mortgage broker, Financial advisor, Personal/Business Coach, Accountant, Insurance agent, Painter, Home Inspector, Contractor, Home Staggers, Isagenix Professional , Video/Photography Guru, GTA Courier, Jewelry Maker, Personal Wardrobe Creator, Social Media/Networking coach, Sport Injury healer, a Web Developer and  a Promotional Products Creator.
This is so important to me because I have to trust the people that I am handing my clients off to for help in other areas that is not my specialty.
If you are looking to grow your business, I might suggest looking into finding a networking group. The business relationships formed in the group can last for years and the Friendships can last even longer.
If you want more information on Freedom Networking please contact me at suzannehanlon@royallepage.ca or if you would like more information on BNI you can contact Fred LeBlanc at talktoFred@rogers.com.

1 comment:

  1. This is something so positive Susane. You are right that if you want to grow in your profession, you have to be in contact with the correct personnel and develop a network. I am thinking about making one in the North Bay Home Staging so that I could get to meet the clients and other professionals.

    ReplyDelete